Last year we found out how Cyber Monday got started. This year we will look at some shopping tips.
Here are some safe buying tips and cautions:
- Only buy from reputable retailers.
- Make sure you have a physical address and phone number.
- Send an email to make sure it is active.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau in the seller’s area.
- Find out about warranties and returns.
- If you buy overseas, be wary of any recourse under US jurisdiction.
- Don’t judge by a fancy website.
- Make sure the website is secure – that it has https at the beginning of the address when you enter your personal information and that a lock is shown somewhere on your browser.
- Don’t click on popup advertisements.
- Use a credit card, not a money order, personal check or debit card. Credi card payments can be withheld if there is a dispute. With a debit card, once the payment is made it’s gone from your account.
- Shop around so you know the price range of the item. If it seems too good to be true it may not be legitimate.
- If you are using public wi-fi, make sure it is secure.
- Turn off Bluetooth. This will lessen the risk of others capturing with a nearby device.
- Read the terms of service before purchasing.
- Be careful if purchasing digital items like books or music – they can’t be given as gifts but are downloaded to you account. You can purchase gift cards/ecards instead.
- Save or print your receipts so you have a record.
- Don’t forget that shipping may add to the cost if it’s not offered free or if your purchase doesn’t meet the minimum amount for free shipping.
- Be alert for potential charity and donation scams.